Matthew J. Dunn, Esq.Associate
Matt Dunn joined Berluti, McLaughlin & Kutchin in 2012. Mr. Dunn practices in the firm’s litigation and real estate departments. He is an experienced litigator, with a concentration in land use and complex civil disputes. Mr. Dunn has represented individuals, insurers, lending institutions, privately held corporations and large companies before administrative agencies and in state and federal courts. He has also represented landlords, tenants, buyers, sellers and lenders in numerous commercial and residential real estate transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Dunn was the principal of The Dunn Law Group where he served as counsel for landlords, tenants, general contractors, subcontractors and property owners in real estate-related disputes and sophisticated litigation matters. He also acted as in-house associate counsel for a major real estate development and property management company advising senior management on matters involving eminent domain, zoning, commercial disputes, mechanic’s liens, collections and landlord/tenant matters.
Mr. Dunn is a former prosecutor who worked as an Assistant District Attorney with the Cape and Island’s District Attorney’s Office, and as a clerk at the United States Attorney’s Office in Boston.
- Successfully defended New York registered investment adviser and its senior officers and directors against SEC Rule 10b-5, Exchange Action Section 20(a) control person liability, and other claims in the Third Circuit resulting from an employee hedge fund manager’s operation of a Ponzi scheme.
- Successfully obtained dismissal, on personal jurisdiction grounds, of all trademark infringement and related claims brought in the US. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa against a Massachusetts-based Consumer products company.
- Obtained injunction requiring escrowing of $1.7 million for two former directors of an India-Based subsidiary of a Massachusetts corporation for indemnification against potential personal liability for corporate tax obligations in India.
- Secured a preliminary injunction in U.S. District Court ordering multinational corporation to escrow $1.7 million to protect corporate directors from taxes levied by the Republic of India.
- Attained dismissal in U.S. District Court of corporation's trademark infringement claim against manufacturer.
- Attained dismissal in Massachusetts Superior Court of commercial tenant’s 93A and tort claims against landlord.
- Successfully litigated contempt action in Massachusetts Land Court against commercial operator for its continued violation of previously obtained injunction.
- Obtained cease and desist order from a municipal zoning board enjoining operation of commercial ventures in historic residentially zoned district.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in wage & hours dispute brought by former employee.
- Successfully defended a developer of a suburban subdivision in a lawsuit brought by a prospective purchaser of a lot against claims for breach of contract and violations of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Statute (M.G.L.ch. 93A).
- Successfully represented an abutter in a Land Court action brought to overturn a variance issued by a municipal zoning board to an operator of a commercial venture in a residentially zoned district.
- Successfully represented landowners in Superior Court lawsuits contesting the sufficiency of monetary awards paid by a State agency for eminent domain takings.
- Successfully represented the owner of a historic property in an action brought in Superior Court to enjoin the developer’s destructive construction practices.
- Successfully represented a commercial landowner in a Superior Court action to enjoin a municipality’s wrongful use of its eminent domain power.
- Represented the lead defendant in multimillion dollar wrongful death actions involving employer liability in parallel cases brought in Illinois state and federal courts.
Distinctions and Significant Matters
- Selected by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Massachusetts “Rising Star” in the field of Real Estate Law (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013).
- Cum laude graduate of Suffolk University Law School where he served as Managing Editor of the school’s Transnational Law Review.
- Played on Boston College’s men’s soccer team where he was awarded the Tom McElroy Memorial Scholarship – the school’s largest memorial grant provided annually to one student-athlete who best exemplifies the qualities of courage, dedication, sincerity and determination.
J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2002
B.A., Boston College, 1998
Bar AdmissionsMassachusetts and New York
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Memberships, Affiliations and Personal Interests
Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, Plymouth County Bar Association.
Boston College Alumni Association.
New England Over-the-Hill Soccer League
New England Senior Hockey League