- Boston University (B.S., cum laude, 2004)
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D. 2008, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- California (inactive status)
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Jessica Mahon Scoles joined Berluti, McLaughlin & Kutchin, LLP as an associate in 2017. Ms. Mahon Scoles is an experienced civil litigator who focuses on complex business disputes. She has represented a broad range of clients in high-stakes and high-profile actions in state and federal court, mediations, arbitrations, and before regulatory authorities. Ms. Mahon Scoles’ cases have included shareholder disputes, securities fraud, employment litigation, contract disputes, business torts, trade secret and intellectual property disputes, and bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Mahon Scoles was a law clerk for Hon. Donald L. Cabell of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts for two years. At the Court, she assisted in the management of a busy docket of civil and criminal cases. She began her career as a litigation associate at Bingham McCutchen, LLP in Santa Monica, California.
- Represented investment advisor in connection with SEC investigation into whether firm had made false statements regarding its level of due diligence after manager it had recommended to institutional clients was found to have engaged in fraud.
- Defended construction company in wage and hour class action.
- Represented property management software developer in a bet-the-company dispute with a competitor involving misappropriation of trade secrets and antitrust claims.
- In Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding, obtained favorable settlement on behalf of largest secured creditor of a bankrupt film production company.
- Defended principals of one of the largest private homebuilding companies in the nation against claims that they defrauded lender by misrepresenting company’s financial position in order to obtain loan refinancing.
- Represented independent practice association in its interference with contract suit against several competitors and defended fraud counterclaims.
- Defended KPMG in securities fraud action alleging that the financial statements of Countrywide Financial Corporation, one of the largest sub-prime lenders in California, contained material misstatements and omissions.
- Investigated allegations of sexual harassment by manager at drug abuse treatment facility.
- Defended Tishman Speyer in litigation arising out of its 2009 leveraged buyout of Archstone Smith Trust, one of the largest REIT mergers in history.
- Obtained successful result on appeal for non-profit association of foster care providers. The Ninth Circuit, in California Alliance of Child and Family Services v. Allenby, 589 F.3d 1017 (9th Cir. 2009), ruled that the Child Welfare Act requires that California cover the full cost of care for foster children the state places in group homes. Also, recovered more than $1 million in legal fees, which were used to endow a pro bono fellowship.
MEMBERSHIPS, AFFILIATIONS, AND PERSONAL INTERESTS
- Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts (Mentoring Circle Coordinator, Member of Communications Committee)
- Boston Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor of Legal Research & Writing, NESL
- 2018 New England Super Lawyer Rising Star