- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 1996
- B.S., Northeastern University, 1993. Summa cum laude
- United States District Court, Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Kerry R. Northup joined Berluti McLaughlin & Kutchin LLP as a partner in 2011, bringing extensive experience in both corporate transactions and business litigation to the firm. He has represented commercial lenders in both single loan and structured middle market financings, including acquisition financing, and represented closely held businesses and portfolio companies of private equity funds in ongoing corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, and business disputes.
Prior to joining Berluti McLaughlin & Kutchin, Mr. Northup was a partner at Kutchin & Rufo, P.C., and an associate at Sullivan & Worcester LLP and DKW Law Group.
Represented numerous lenders and borrowers in multi-million dollar secured and unsecured loan facilities, including:
- Represented health care industry portfolio company of private equity fund in $22 million credit facility.
- Represented lenders in structured acquisition financings.
- Represented lender in connection with multi-million-dollar hotel construction financing.
- Represented private equity fund in capital call line of $10 million.
- Represented strategic acquirer in connection with a loan convertible into equity of target corporation.
- Represented automobile dealer in multi-million-dollar floor financing.
- Represented lenders in loans to high-net-worth individuals secured by unusual assets such as rare wines and art.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Represented public and private corporations, including portfolio companies of private equity firms, in a wide range of mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions, including:
- Represented sister portfolio companies in simultaneous asset sale to two different purchasers involving an aggregate sale price of over $32 million.
- Represented a wholesale hardware distributor in connection with the $15 million asset sale of his family owned business.
- Represented an architectural, engineering, and construction management firm in the $15 million stock sale of its entire business.
- Represented a regional wholesaler in the sale of his family business to a strategic purchaser in an asset acquisition on a cash free, debt-free basis for a purchase price of $15 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in a share exchange of a portfolio entity, effecting a partial management buyout.
- Represented a publicly traded telecommunications company in its $10 million acquisition of stock of a wireless internet communications provider.
- Represented a publicly traded telecommunications company in its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a radio tower corporation.
- Represented a portfolio company of a private equity fund in its sale of stock to a division of H.J. Heinz Company.
- Represented the purchaser in a multi-million-dollar acquisition of a Mercedes-Benz automobile dealership.
- Represented numerous dentists in connection with the purchase and sale of dental practices.
- Represented a publicly held corporation in connection with its acquisition by a Hang Seng listed corporation.
- Represented a corporation in forming a multi-national joint venture with a DAX 30 listed corporation.
- Appeared before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and obtained affirmation of a lower court summary judgment ruling in favor of a New York registered investment adviser and its senior officers and directors against SEC Rule 10b-5, Exchange Act Section 20(a) control person liability, negligent supervision, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Obtained an injunction in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts requiring the escrowing of $1.7 million for two former directors of an India-based subsidiary of a Massachusetts corporation for indemnification against potential personal liability for corporate tax obligations in India.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in Massachusetts Superior Court in favor of a dental practice client for claims brought by a former employee for racial discrimination, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and intentional interference with advantageous business relations.
- Successfully obtained dismissal, on personal jurisdiction grounds, of trademark infringement and related claims brought in the US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa against a Massachusetts-based consumer products company.
- Representation of a private equity firm and the senior officers and directors of one of its portfolio companies in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the US District Court for the District of Delaware in defending allegations of breach of fiduciary duties, corporate waste, and fraudulent transfer.
- Representation of publicly held corporations in corporate governance matters, equity and debt financings, disclosure matters, stock exchange listing standards, and securities compliance matters.
- Representation of corporations and executives in employment matters, including the negotiation of executive employment agreements, non-competition agreements, and the resolution of employment disputes, including the enforcement of non-competition agreements.
- Representation of public and private corporations, including portfolio companies of private equity funds, in a wide variety of disputes in federal and state court, including breach of contract, business tort, securities fraud, and employment matters.
Memberships, Affiliations, and Personal Interests
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association