John T. McLaughlin, ESQ.
John T. McLaughlin is a founding partner of Berluti McLaughlin & Kutchin LLP, with an established practice representing private, closely held and family businesses and their owners. Mr. McLaughlin focuses his practice on advising business owners on all legal issues related to the operation of a successful business including business formation and start-up, shareholder and buy-sell agreements, asset protection, partnerships and joint ventures, mergers, and acquisitions.
As more and more of his clients have become mature businesses, Mr. McLaughlin has developed a particular expertise in business succession planning and developing exit strategies for business owners. He has also assisted many family businesses in transitioning the ownership of the business to the next generation of the family using sophisticated estate planning strategies to minimize estate taxes. In addition, Mr. McLaughlin deals with all aspects of commercial and residential real estate transactions and financing, commercial leasing, estate planning, and has extensive trial experience in civil and criminal litigation, including business disputes, probate and real estate litigation.
Prior to joining Berluti McLaughlin & Kutchin, Mr. McLaughlin was a partner at Berluti & McLaughlin LLC, served as an Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County and was a Partner of Voke & McLaughlin.
Phone: (617) 557-3030
Mobile: (617) 510-6037
Fax: (617) 557-2939
44 School Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02108
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 1981. Cum laude
- B.A., Tufts University, 1977. Magna cum laude
- United States District Court for Massachusetts
- Represented owner of a Massachusetts-based manufacturer in an equity ownership sale transaction which included (1) a purchase price of over $130 million, (2) the rollover of a portion of the purchase price into equity ownership interests of the acquiror’s parent, and (3) representation and warranty insurance.
- Represented strategic buyer in a $70+ million “carve out” transaction to purchase certain assets and liabilities of a Mid-Western business.
- Representing many business owners in the sale of their businesses after implementing a succession plan to minimize income and estate taxes
- Representing many high net worth individuals and families including establishing a family office and implementing sophisticated tax and estate planning techniques
- Representing an international licensing and distribution company
- Representing a group of manufacturers in the roll up and sale of manufacturing and distribution businesses in the United States and Canada to a private equity group
- Representing a regional building supply company in the tax efficient transfer of ownership of family-owned businesses to the next generation
- Representing various professional services groups in the negotiation of shareholder arrangements
- Representing a successful local entrepreneur in various business ventures including a multi-phase condominium project
- Representing a well-known, family-owned real estate development company in the wind-down of its affairs and the transfer of assets to the next generation
- Representing various local business owners in connection with day-to-day corporate governance matters, real estate acquisitions and leasing and the transfer of their businesses to the next generation
- Representing the owner of a regional retailer with stores located throughout New England in day-to-day corporate governance matters, real estate leasing transactions and other contract matters
- Published in the Boston Business Journal
- Published in Banker & Tradesman
- Frequent speaker on business law, succession planning and tax saving strategies for business owners
- Top Lawyer in Trusts and Estates in the 2022 Boston Magazine Top Lawyers List
- Massachusetts Go To Lawyer by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2020
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association
- IES (Innovative Exit Strategies)